About Jefferson Elementary
Jefferson Elementary School was constructed on Vans Avenue in 1957 to house one classroom each of grades K-6. Jefferson opened just months after the new Coldwater High School was dedicated, reflecting the population and enrollment "boom" within the Coldwater city limits. Because of an ongoing increase in enrollment, additional classrooms and a media center were added in 1962.
In 1981, Jefferson became a K-5 building with 6th Grade students moving to the rechristened Legg Middle School.
Additional renovations and expansions to Jefferson came about as a result of the passage of an $18.6 million bond proposal in 2001. When Max Larsen Elementary opened in 2003, Jefferson students temporarily relocated to the adjacent Edison building during the duration of the Jefferson renovation project. Students returned to the expanded Jefferson facility in 2004.
We accepted an influx of students from the Girard Elementary attendance area after that building closed its doors in 2006.
All of Coldwater's elementary schools were realigned by grade level in 2011, and as a result, Jefferson became the home of Kindergarten through 3rd Grade students from the eastern half of the school district. A further adjustment made Jefferson a 2nd and 3rd Grade building beginning in 2013.