An Update on the 2020-21 School Year
Good Afternoon Coldwater Schools Families:
This is Superintendent Terry Ann Whelan with an update on the work we are doing to prepare for school in the fall.
First, I want to thank you for your partnership during this school year. I know it was difficult as we were all trying to navigate through these unknown waters. We wish we had more answers for you for next year, but state guidelines are still being developed.
On Thursday (6/18), Governor Whitmer announced that as a state, we should be planning on going back in the fall with face to face instruction. What we don't know yet is what that will look like. The Governor is hopeful that the guidance for school districts will be available on June 30th. So, even though we don't have that roadmap yet, I want you to know that we are working hard to make sure that we have a safe environment for our staff and students to return to in the fall.
I would like to share with you some of the plans that we are developing and putting in place.
We have ordered over 1500 new Chromebooks so that we can provide each and every student with a chrome book next year.
We are exploring what school could look like under three different scenarios:
- We are all back with face to face learning.
- A hybrid model with some face to face and some online learning.
- Online learning only.
We are also exploring different tools for online learning and ways that we can transition back and forth from being online then going back to school, or being in school and then having to go back to online.
Without knowing what will happen next year, we need to be prepared for whatever scenario(s) takes place.
In early July, we will be sending out a survey to all of our families to get your input on your preferred method of instruction for the fall. Please watch for that survey, because we truly value your input.
In order to make sure that we are prepared to keep our kids healthy and safe in the fall, we have done the following:
- All rooms have been deep cleaned and thoroughly sanitized.
- We have purchased Electrostatic Sprayers to disinfect our buses, cafeterias, classrooms, bathrooms, gymnasiums and bleachers.
- We have purchased infrared, no touch thermometers and will take all students and staff temperatures upon entering the buses and/or buildings.
- Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer will be available to clean surfaces and hands on a regular basis during the day.
- Cloth masks have been ordered for all staff and students.
We have also appointed four committees to work on the four major components for next fall.
The committees are as follows:
We will continue to do our best to provide you with any answers as we get them.
The one thing that we are certain about in the fall is that our students' safety and education continues to be our top priority. We are still all in this together!
Thank you for your continued support and know that I will continue to communicate any additional information as it becomes available.
Terry Ann Whelan, Superintendent