Participation in School Drinking Water Quality Reimbursement Program

Coldwater Community Schools is committed to protecting the health of students, teachers, and staff. We are participating in the School Drinking Water Quality Reimbursement Program, which is a program jointly administered by the Michigan Department of Education and Department of Environmental Quality. This program is designed to provide school funding for costs associated with the mitigation of potential lead exposure from drinking water. Up to $950 per school building is available on a reimbursement basis for the cost of testing for lead in drinking water, fixture replacement, filter purchases, plumbing assessments, or technical assistance incurred between July 1, 2016, and September 30, 2017.

The School Drinking Water Quality Reimbursement Program requires that schools submit proof of public notification of the number of fixtures providing water for drinking or food preparation, testing results, number of fixtures replaced, and other corrective action plans prior to reimbursement. This section of the website presents information for all five of our buildings.

About Lead

Lead can cause serious health problems if too much enters your body from drinking water or other sources. It can cause damage to the brain and kidneys, and it can interfere with the production of red blood cells that carry oxygen to all parts of your body. The greatest risk of lead exposure is to infants, young children, and pregnant women. Scientists have linked the effects of lead on the brain with lowered IQ in children. Adults with kidney problems and high blood pressure can be affected by low levels of lead more than healthy adults. Lead is stored in the bones, and it can be released later in life.

How Can I Learn More?

For more information about water quality in our schools, please contact Superintendent Paul Flynn at Coldwater Community Schools, 517-279-5910 ext. 2217. For information about water quality and sampling for lead at home, contact your local water supplier or the Michigan DEQ (View Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy).